Wednesday, February 7, 2007

Dane Discrimination

A very irritating day...

The apartments I currently live at have had a recent change in management. Said new management decided, in their great wisdom, to no longer permit large dogs, indeed, no animals above 18 pounds.

I was told at the manager's office: "When your lease is up, you'll have to either get rid of the pet or move out." That's just cold.

Now, you can gripe me out about my handwriting, playing music too loud, parking wrong, or any number of things. But you do not tell me what to do with my dog. Them's fightin' words!

So, Odin and I are going to go see another apartment complex this weekend; the people I spoke to there said "125 pounds? No problem!" The terms of their lease agreement and everything seem very good; I'd actually save money if I were living there now. Since my lease isn't up til September, I have plenty of time to save money for the deposits and moving expenses and so forth. I told Suki the kitty that we have to move in September, and to get her anxiety over it done with now, as managing and rehousetraining Odin is going to make things difficult. Not to mention moving all the heavy furniture, kitchenware, etc etc. I have alot of sorting to do.

This policy change is going to inconvenience a great many people in this complex. The management company stands to lose a good many longtime customers and business as a result. I can understand that some people are just afraid of big dogs because of their sheer size; I can understand, but not always agree with, breed type restrictions (I've seen vicious black Labs). But to change a policy that was often the reason many people moved here in the first place is bad business and frankly discriminatory against large/giant breed owners. I am going to see if I can't find out why they changed the policy.

I'm just none too pleased about having to move; I don't much care for it, and at least this place I'll be looking at is still within walking distance to the office.

This new place has fireplaces and is closer to the park and has better views of the river, so it will be worth the expense. And not having to pay pet rent! I can understand that some people don't always pick up after their pooch (I've been caught out without baggies for Odin before). I do understand that a business owner can do what they damn well please. This is America, after all. So I shall simply close my eyes and think of the nation, and sign the papers.

No comments: