Saturday, January 27, 2007

More about Odin and Other Critters

Odin can catch pupcorn from the air. I tell him to "catch" and move it back and forth, he tracks every move. He managed to catch five out of seven. He takes little hops forward and just snaps right down. If he misses, it bounces off his nose, and as he's lunging forward, that just gives it more momentum. He managed to knock one a good three feet away. He also seems to know that his tongue has to be kept well back from those choppers. It's highly entertaining.

Pupcorn tastes horrible. It has no flavor at all. It needs salt, truth be told.

Oh, what is pupcorn? It's a crunchy doggy treat that is pretty much all air. It's "cheese flavored" (no, it's not. I can attest.) Low fat, low calories, low sodium, etc. You can get them at Petsmart.

I also give Odin his "Old man" treats (dog biscuits with glucosamine and chonditrin, for the joints). And pig's ears. He loves him some pig's ears. I also got him a gigantic rawhide bone that he's been working on for awhile now. Keeps those teeth clean and healthy.

One of the things I've been doing is giving him more and more exercise (and myself too in the process!) that now he is able to tolerate me holding him up by the forelegs for a bit. Not quite enough to where he can rest on my shoulders, but we're getting there.

We went up to the park today, by the river. There's still ice and snow, and often a layer of water under the ice, especially on the low lying sidewalks. There were a few geese around. Odin nearly dragged me onto the ice in the river, but I managed to pull him back and save us both from hypothermia. He really wanted to see that damn goose. I'll have to bring him out there in the spring when the geese and ducks are all there, with some bread. I can hand feed some of the geese and ducks.

It's also a great deal of fun watching geese attempt to land on ice. There's generally a lot of flapping and startled honking as they struggle to stop skidding.

Well, to bed. I have sacristy duties in the morning.

No comments: