Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Dog Days

I'm off work this week (thanks be to God!) and so I have more time, of course, to spend with Odin and Suki.

I received a very nice package of goodies yesterday, from back home, for Christmas. Brownies, cookies, peanut brittle, banana bread, etc. All good homemade stuff A little taste of home.

And a little taste was all I got. I ate one cookie, and set the rest of the bags aside for later consumption. Well, I didn't set them aside far enough. While I was at KFC, gone for less than 15 minutes, Odin had methodically pulled down, shredded, and ate the contents of everything but the banana bread.

Daddy was not happy. I called Odin down off the couch and began to scold him for the mess. The poor dog peed in fright before I got a good head of steam built up. Real dignified, that. I immediately took him outside and consoled him for a bit. I would have never hit him, of course, I do have a pretty deep voice and he knew what he did was wrong, so I probably did put the fear of God into him. I let him go to the bedroom to think about it for a little while while I ran the sweeper and cleaned up the mess.

At least I still have the banana bread and the hot chocolate. Oh, and the party mix and mulling spices. Needless to say, he did not get any of my chicken and biscuits. I've been watching him for awhile now to make sure he's not had a poison reaction to the chocolate; he seems to be okay. I have also altered my food placement policies accordingly; this dog's reach is incredible.

And, we finally met the gigantic, loud, and messy St. Bernard that lives on the other side of the building. She's very friendly, very vocal, and I imagine a handful on the leash. Odin didn't care for the barking, but was content to be sniffed. His little dachsund pal a few doors down was watching from his window, green with envy.

No comments: