Monday, December 18, 2006

The Danelaw

Well, here we go. No telling what I'll be getting into from here. There's millions of blogs out there covering every subject conceivable, and some not-quite-conceivable that leave you sitting there thinking, "What the hey?"

I'll try to keep the "WTF" factor to a minimum, but it's crazy out there and crazy in here, so no promises from your daneruled editor.

Danelaw –noun

1. the body of laws in force in the northeast of England where the Danes settled in the 9th century a.d.
2. the part of England under this law.


Might I submit a third, more modern definition of Danelaw?

3. a household with any number of Great Danes present.

I live alone right now, no roommates (and I like it like that!), and so for companionship, something to do, and something to blow money I don't have on, I got pets. And so, the members of the household:

Suki, the calico kitty. Primus inter pares of all cats (according to her, anyway) and She That All the World Obeys. If she so much as smells another cat on me, it's the cold shoulder all night. If she had her way, the 11th commandment would be: thou shalt have no other cats before me.

I've had her since 2004, adopted through a friend of mine. Declawed in front (barbaric, that is!), but more than makes up for it with teeth and back claws. I have discovered this on several occasions.

Her favorite game: stalk Daddy through the rooms at night, and pounce on his legs from behind.

Odin, the harlequin Great Dane. Rex, princeps, et imperator of all he surveys. He certainly looks the part. He loves everybody, great and small, and their little dogs too. He really wants to be friends with Suki, but she hasn't quite gotten over the idea that this big, smelly, heavy-breathing monster might swallow her whole.

I just got him, on the 14th, from the local Humane Society. Folks, if you love animals, support your local Humane Society. They definitely need it. Or volunteer with them, they can always use the help. For you folks in Wichita and Sedgwick County, that's http://www.kshumane.org

He's 8 years old, which is elderly for a Dane, and needed a good home and a bit of medical care, all of which has now been taken care of. He has completely taken over the couch, the bed, and my heart.

His favorite game: follow Daddy everywhere. Carefully observe his every action. Watch jealously as he uses those amazing opposable thumbs to work a fork from plate to mouth.

And then there's me: Josh, the Scots-Irish-French-Cherokee-Welsh-German-oh heck, American! I'm Catholic, 25, work in local government, and attend Mass usually at St. Mary's Cathedral. I work very, very hard (are you reading this, boss-lady at work?) to feed, water, and provide for the rulers of my little apartment, and when the fancy strikes me, to provide for meself as well. I have ADD, so blogging might be a little random. Say, is that a squirrel?

Well, this has been a very long intro. I'll probably comment on local news and happenings, events and things with the Catholic Church and my diocese, and whatever else strikes me.

Til next time from the Danelaw!

No comments: