Sunday, March 18, 2007

We're Moving On Up

It's been awhile since I've updated, so here goes:

A fellow parishioner has a house for rent, and so I am getting out of my lease early at this apartment and moving in there, just before Palm Sunday. It's a nice little rental home, two bedrooms, fenced backyard, etc etc. All the good stuff. Sure, my expenses will be higher, but it's worth the deal.

The fenced backyard will be particularly nice, as I'll be able to let the dog run around freely. However, he doesn't like being out there without me outside with him. Odin merely stands there at the back door and quotes from the doggy scriptures: Behold, I stand at the door and whine...if the master opens the door to me, I will enter in with him, and wag my tail playfully and jump all over him for joy.

I finally told Suki the kitty that we're moving. She set her ears back and began to lash her tail:

--A new house? New smells? New furniture arrangments? That smelly dog has a pea brain; of course he's happy about it!
--But, Suki kitty, there's lots of windows.
She set her ears back forward and stopped lashing.
--Windows? I can sit and sleep in the windows? I can migrate with the sun, soaking up every bit of that warmth into my solar-cell tummy...
--And birds to watch. I'll even hang a birdfeeder outside.
--Ooooooh. Nice. Tasty. Feathery.
--Um, you won't be able to get at them, kitty.
Hiss.
--But you might have the chance to chase mice. These old houses, don't you know...
Purr.

So we've settled that issue. I've not told her that it involves being stuck in the kitty carrier and taking a car ride. It'll take her hours to give the place a proper inspection. Odin has already done his preliminaries.

The house has a furnace grate in the floor, the only heating grate in the whole place, as was the style at the time. He absolutely refuses to walk on the grate. He goes out of his way to avoid it. He looks at me like I'm crazy when I stand on it. I'll cover it over in the summertime, he probably won't know the difference.

Well, I have much packing to do. Ten boxes of books have already been moved, but I may have two or three more. Then other assorted odds and ends. I'm hiring professional movers for this. If they do a good job, I'll give them free advertising here. All they'll be moving is the stuff that would require two people. If I can get Odin into the backseat of my car, I can get things his size or smaller in there, so that's a useful standard.

And now off to church.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi J.B.,

I check out your blog from time to time. I really enjoy the critter stories. I have a golden retriever and a kitty. They're best buddies. It's amazing how they get you wrapped around their little/big paws. Glad to see you got a new place.